“Jennifer Lopez seen here in Leicester Square, London at the Premiere for her movie The Back Up Plan went for something slightly out of character and some would say risky but she really pulls it off. Jennifer Lopez has that gorgeous Latino Thick hair that Hairdressers love working with because it does whatever you want. The reason why the hair was put up was completely down to the dress, look at the detailing around the neck. The Necklace and high shoulder detail all add different elements to this area of her body and to be honest everything above her breasts is the main focal point of the whole of Jennifer’s look. Having the hair down would of made the look totally too busy and taken away the emphasis from the Neck detail.
I know what you’re thinking, ‘I’ll never be able to do this at home’, but it’s so easy to follow these simple steps or WATCH MY VIDEO TUTORIAL HERE to Get The Look.”
- You need to build up a distressed texture. Mousse, Sea Salt Sprays and even Dry Shampoos are really good to create a matte texture in hair
- Comb Nicky Clarke Great Body Ultimate Mousse throughout the hair
- Blow dry the hair straight and slightly turn the ends, just so you can comb the hair through cleanly
- Once hair is dried and prepped with product you need to do what I call ‘clamping’ to get lots of volume and texture in the hair to bulk it up. You can almost double the hair’s density by doing this technique
- Take sections in 3 inch depth, lift away from the head and spray with Nicky Clarke Hold and Shine Ultimate Hairspray Do 3 sections then re-visit the first section you did and run the straighteners from roots to ends. You will notice the hair goes very stiff and hard.
- Once you have the section in its hairsprayed stiff state then proceed to brush through from roots to ends with a bristle brush.
- Continue this technique throughout the hair
- Once brushed through you will now see the hair has almost doubled in volume. Don’t panic.
- You now need to brush the hair into a tight high ponytail that sits on the top of the head.
- Using a bristle brush tightly pull the hair into a pony and secure with either a bungee or piece of cord that is tied. Don’t use a hairband as it’s not strong enough to wrap around the ponytail.
- With the hair now secured into the pony tail, go through in sections and gently backcomb from the mid-lengths to roots.
- You now need a Large Doughnut that will be your base; you can get these from any beauty retail store, Boots, Superdrug etc.
- Pull the whole of the ponytail through the doughnut
- Using Kirby grips go into the doughnut then out then into the head not the ponytail. This will secure the Doughnut to the head
- Place your thumb into the centre of the doughnut and drop the hair to the right where there is a gap between your thumb and palm of your hand
- Swirl the hair in one motion around the doughnut
- Use pins to secure the hair to the base of the doughnut
- Use your mirrors and visually play about with the shape
- Finish with Nicky Clarke Hold and Shine Ultimate Hairspray and lots of it!!!