“Diane Kruger seen here at the Oscars 2010 definitely had one of the more daring and intricate up do’s of the night. The look echoed her fashion forward Channel gown and was in-keeping with her timeless beauty; it was neither too young nor too old.
Although it would seem to be fairly complicated it actually isn’t….follow the simple steps below and have some fun.”
- Shampoo and condition the hair using Nicky Clarke Moisture Shampoo and Moisture Conditioner.
- . This shampoo is great for reducing any frizz which is essential for this look due to the amount you are touching and twisting the hair. All of this action will push against the hair cuticle causing frizzing so anything you can do to reduce it will help you to achieve this look.
- Use a leave-in conditioner combing the hair through – The hair needs to have some ‘love’, so it is moveable and strong.
- Blast the hair a little to reduce moisture.
- Apply a Spray Gel carefully through the damp hair.
- NOTE: too much will make the hair sticky.
- Blow dry the hair with your fingers to create lots of natural volume.
- With all the hair finally being up, ensure to go around the hairline and smoothen out any fly-away pieces of hair.
- Using a vent brush on the top of the head, lift away the roots whilst aiming the hairdryer to the elevated roots. This is an excellent technique for creating quick volume.
- Smooth out the mid lengths and ends of the hair with a paddle brush.
- The first section you take is a side parting.
- TIP: your favourite or more flattering side of your face should be the opposite side to the parting as there will be more detail this side.
- Divide the hair into three sections. Right side, left side and back
- Braid both side sections of hair back and upwards in the direction of the crown, creating tightness at the sides and obvious detail at the back.
- Making sure the braided sides are out of the way (you will incorporate these shortly) pull the back section into a high ponytail; use a bungee or cord to tie.
- The complicated part is now. Take the ponytail and divide it into two sections. Twist each section in a rope-like formation – both ponytails need to be symmetrical.
- TIP: always twist clockwise (to the right).
- You now have two rope braids from the ponytail. Incorporate the right side section braid to the right rope braid and the same on the left.
- Start twisting the braided side around the rope braid.
- The hair will start knotting up around itself – then start pinning it into place.
- Use the picture as a guide for the shape: the top detail needs to be above ear level.
- With the remaining hair, tie it into a knot and secure underneath the braided twist and at the occipital bone
- Finish the look with a broche to dress/glam the look up; on one-side just behind and above the ear
- Mist the hair with Nicky Clarke Hold and Shine Ultimate Hairspray.